Sunday, February 1, 2009

My daughter, Heather Walker's birth experience's.

Hey Mom,

I was having fun reading your blog today, and thought I would write a little about my experiences with pregnancy and delivery.
My favorite pregnancy was with my second son Damian. I stayed more active that time. I had a one year old son that kept me
active. I would take him on walks almost every day. I was able to keep my weight down. I had also started out smaller with this
pregnancy. I knew more about everything, because it was my second pregnancy. So I wasn't as scared. I also didn't go over due.
I went into labor right on my due date, by taking Castor oil. Its so gross but it really works for me. I tried it twice and it worked
both times. I wasn't able to have my first son natural without an epidural, because the labor was too long, even though I wanted
to, but with Damian, I was lucky to have big breaks between my contractions, so it made it easier to make it through without an
epidural. I'm glad that I did, but I really didn't enjoy that last part, and I remember telling myself that I never wanted to feel that
feeling again. That is why I had an epidural with my last two, even though I am one to try to stay away from medications. I try to
use natural herbs more. I did have a bad reaction to my last epidural, which has made me afraid to ever have one again. The nurse
was able to hurray and give me something to raise my blood pressure, so I ended up being OK and was able to enjoy my babies
delivery. It was an exciting delivery. Only my contractions were numbed, but not the birth canal. So I could feel my baby coming
out and I couldn't stop it, even though my midwife was not there yet. Another women was delivering a few minutes ahead of me.
So my mom, the nurse and the Anesthesiologist were all getting ready to deliver him. The midwife did run in right as his head was
coming out. It was really fun, and I didn't mind the pressure and the feeling of him coming through the birth canal. I think because
I didn't have to fell the contractions, so I was able to handle the other pains. It wasn't so overwhelming.

I wanted to have Nurse Midwives, so I could have the best of both worlds. But I was disappointed to find out that most Nurse
Midwives are against herbs. With my last one though, I found a midwife that was open to me taking herbs, and I was very happy
about that. I bleed a lot after all my deliveries, so with my last one, I was bleeding a lot and the nurse was about to give me a shot,
which I always try to stay away from. My mother was prepared with some mistletoe that she had found out helps stop the bleeding.
So we asked the nurse and midwife if we could try the mistletoe first to see if that would work. They decided to let us, but if it didn't
seem to help by the next time they checked, they would give me the shot. So I took it and the next time they checked they were
surprised to see that it worked. They were happy to have learned about this herb. And I was so happy to be able to take something
that wouldn't give me side effects, like the shot could have. So over all I have had good experiences in the hospitals. I really like how
I can get away from my home and be pampered and have all my meals brought to me. Also I can just rest and enjoy my baby and
not be at home worrying about my house and if its getting trashed by my kids. I have been to a home birth and really liked the whole
experience. It was so neat to see a totally natural birth, the way it was meant to be, without any complications. I kind of wish that I
could be brave enough to do it that way, but I'm just too scared of the pain and complications. I guess I need more faith.

Thanks for reading my long story. Love, Heather

Nancy's comments: I really enjoyed reading your experience and also enjoyed sharing in all of your birth experiences! It has been a great joy to me to be involved in you special moments of bringing a precious child into the world, and seeing my grandchildren come into the world has been a awesome experience! I loved reading your feelings and emotions and ideas of what you have learned with having 4 children! I like your choices of having the best of both worlds, I have had women deliver my babies and men, and for me I prefer to have some one who has gone through it and who knows how it feels. I know there are good men OB doctors too! I just prefer a woman who has experienced labor and delivery for herself! And I know some women who would rather have men deliver their babies!

1 comment:

Heidi Mecham said...

Reading Heathers story made me bawl my eyes out. I don't know exactly why, I must be pregnant or something. It makes me want to share my birth stories too. I wish I could have been at Malakai's birth. I love that your last Midwife was open to trying new things that could help. I really enjoyed having her as my midwife! I kinda miss having her this time, but I'm so excited for my new midwife and new experience!!!