Monday, January 5, 2009

Ruth Snow Bentley's experience in having a healthier pregnancy!

I think it is very important to be healthy before getting pregnant and then staying healthy and active during pregnancy. I know for me it helped me to continue to walk as many mornings as I could while pregnant with my 8th baby. I mention the 8th one because I didn't really exercise with the others. I didn't see how I could. I just didn't have the time, the knowledge behind it or much support. After getting up to 200 pounds with my 7th baby I knew I had to do something different.

I started by getting a running stroller. Actually first I started by learning how to eat better. There is so much information out there about diet and exercise. That wasn't the case 15 years ago though when I had my 7th baby, so for those of you who are now having babies you have a greater advantage than us mothers who are now done and had most of our babies in the 80's or 90's. Maybe you can learn from our mistakes.

Walking for me has made a huge difference. It was something I could stick with and then it grew from walking to running. I ran my first marathon at age 50 and I have never felt stronger. I truly believe that walking, running and weight lifting have added so much energy and vitality to my life. I have a goal that even though I was an older mother with my last baby. I do not want her to feel that she has an old mother. I feel stronger now, have more energy than I did in my 30's. I feel exercise is very important! I want to keep my goal.

I know as a mother of young children it is hard to make the time to exercise. Do it anyway!!! We are the only ones who can take care of our body. We have to make time for ourself!
Ruth Bentley
Mrs. Utah United States Pageant
www.mrsutahus.com

No comments: